History of Westwood Lodge Ilkley Moor
Westwood Lodge, Ilkley Moor is a grand Victorian country house with adjacent courtyard cottages built in 1875, with some additions in 1890. It was a prestigious private residence originally owned by Leonard Horner, a lead manufacturer from Shipton, and then Edward Briggs, a major mill owner from Bradford.
In the last century, Westwood saw many changes of use. Several local dignitaries and captains of industry lived here including Barnsley brewer and Great War hero Lieutenant Colonel Charles Fox.
From 1943 Westwood was owned by the Leeds & District Workpeople’s Hospital Fund (which still operates today). Members would stay at Westwood to enjoy good food, fresh air and coach trips out following illness or accidents at work.
In 1956 it was sold and became a key part of the College of Housecraft, where young ladies learned their domestic science and homebuilding skills, before it became part of Ilkley College of Further Education in the 1960’s. In 1989 it was renamed The Glenmoor Centre and used as a training facility and holiday cottages by the local Council.