Top tips for bringing children on holiday with us…
- If you can – book outside the school holidays. Yes, we know Head Teacher will grumble, but if your children are pre-school age why holiday during peak weeks? Being in closer proximity to main centres than many cottages, weekend breaks can last til very late on Sunday or even early Monday morning, without missing much – or any – school time.
- Remember children don’t like being stuck in the car! Ilkley and Wharfedale is a great destination because there is so much to do locally. In fact, you can easily get to us and get by all week without a car at all if you stay with us!
- Don’t pack too much stuff! We can provide cots, high chairs, stair gates and a box of toys. We’ve a great organic and local produce supermarket in Ilkley (open until 8pm), so don’t load up at your out-of-town hypermarket. If you come by train, we’ll even help organise for your groceries to be delivered!
- Forget “sat nav”. Just follow our directions for the best route to get here. Try to avoid the M62 or M1 on Friday afternoons. Remember that getting out of London on a Friday night is bound to be horrendous. Come early or set off late and let your children sleep. Let us know if you’re going to arrive late – we’ll leave the lights (eco-bulbs) and heating on ready for you.
- Plan plenty of stops to break the journey – or better still, come by train!
- Pack plenty of snacks and drinks for the journey – fruit and veggie sticks make a good alternative to travel- sickness-inducing chocolates and sweets! Water is the best drink rather than the fizzy, sugary stuff.
- Make sure your children have entertainment for the journey, or make-up some games to play en-route. Even I-Spy or singing works wonders!
- Whilst enjoying your stay – don’t forget health and safety. Make sure your children are supervised at all times when they are in the grounds. Petting our hens is a great experience for small children, but always make sure that hands are washed thoroughly after any contact with animals. Take a first aid kit and follow guidelines for safety in the sun. Our cottage folders contain all local numbers for doctors, dentists etc.
- Above all – enjoy yourself! One of the keys to a successful family holiday is balancing everyone’s needs so there is something for parents and not just the kids. Try and plan some adult time – either by using a babysitting service (we can supply numbers) or just coinciding relaxation with your baby or toddler’s afternoon nap.